Transfer Credit Equivalency

Wake Tech has partnered with CollegeSource TES® to provide students with a library of established credit transfer equivalencies from higher education institutions from which we have previously transferred credit.

Use these instructions for help navigating the library.

If you do not see a course listed in the library, this does not mean that you will not receive credit upon transfer. Wake Tech officials have not had the opportunity to evaluate every course from every institution. The library is always growing. If one of your courses has not been listed, officials will evaluate it when you submit your official transcript. If transfer credit is granted, the course will be added to the library for future students.

For more information on transfer credits, email [email protected].

Frequently asked questions

Does Wake Tech give credit for courses taken elsewhere?

Wake Tech's transfer credit policy can be found in the Transfer Credits section of the college catalog.

International students will have to review the college's transfer credit guidelines specifically for them.

How do I get started?

Submit your official college transcripts as part of the application process.

For transfer credit evaluations, Wake Tech can evaluate only official transcripts that are sealed and unopened or official e-transcripts that are sent directly from the previous college.

How are courses from other colleges evaluated?

Transcripts are evaluated by the Registrar's Office, division deans and department heads.

How can I tell which courses transferred to Wake Tech?

Log in to Self-Service and go to "Student Planning." Select "Transfer Credits" from the Academics menu at the top.

Does Wake Tech accept quarter-hour courses?

Quarter hours will be converted to semester hours, and the semester hours must be equivalent to the Wake Tech course. You may lose some credits in the conversion.

What if I want to appeal a decision on a transfer course?

If you feel that your transfer credit evaluation was not correct, here are the steps to submit an appeal:

  1. Submit Form 727: Transfer Credit Evaluation/Re-evaluation Request
  2. Attach the syllabus for the specific year in which the course was taken
  3. Email the information to [email protected] or [email protected].

What if I change my major or program of study?

Transfer credits may count differently in a new major or program of study. Work with your advisor to determine whether a new evaluation of your transfer credits is needed.

I'm not a Wake Tech student. How can I find out if my credits will apply to a Wake Tech program?

First, check the library of courses in the national Transfer Evaluation System (TES) for which Wake Tech has previously granted credit.

If you don't see your institution or course listed in TES, it is likely that we have not had the opportunity to evaluate it yet. After you are admitted to Wake Tech, we will review your coursework for any applicable transfer credit.

What are the guidelines for international student transcripts?

The Registrar's Office is responsible for evaluating international transcripts and credentials for acceptance of possible transfer credit. If a student would like international coursework evaluated for applicable transfer credit, he or she should send international transcripts to an approved agency or service provider for review and translation.

Processing time for international evaluations may take longer due to academic research involved in establishing equivalencies. (NOTE: When ordering an evaluation, students must order a "course-by-course" or "detailed" evaluation to ensure that coursework can be properly evaluated.) 

Submit your official transcript – it must be unopened – to the Wake Tech Admissions Office. Once the enrollment process is complete, the official transcript is scanned into your record and sent to the Registrar's Office for evaluation.

It will take at least two to three weeks for the  transfer evaluation to be completed and posted to an international student's portal. Students may check Self-Service at any time to monitor awarded transfer credit.

Any student who feels his or her transfer credit evaluation was not correct should follow the steps outlined above to submit an appeal.

Email [email protected] for answers to other transfer credit questions.