Veterans Upward Bound
Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) is a federally funded educational program that prepares veterans for post-secondary education by motivating them and helping them develop academic and other skills necessary for acceptance and success in college. The program provides assessment and enhancement of basic skills through counseling, mentoring, tutoring and academic instruction in core subject areas.
The VUB program at Central Carolina Community College serves veterans in Chatham, Harnett, Johnston, Lee and Wake counties.
All VUB programs must provide instruction in mathematics through pre-calculus, laboratory science, foreign language, composition and literature. Programs may also provide short-term remedial or refresher courses for veterans who are high school graduates but have delayed pursuing post-secondary education.
VUB programs are also expected to assist veterans in securing support services from locally available resources such as the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, state veterans agencies, veterans associations and other state and local agencies that serve veterans.
Other services include the following:
- Education or counseling services designed to improve financial and economic literacy
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school
- Academic, financial or personal counseling
- Tutorial services
- Mentoring programs
- Information on post-secondary education opportunities
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Information on the full range of federal student financial aid programs and benefits
- Guidance and assistance in alternative education programs for secondary school dropouts that lead to receipt of a regular secondary school diploma, entry into high school equivalency programs or post-secondary education
Scott Northern Wake Campus
Tuesday: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Southern Wake Campus
Veterans Zone - TBA