Career & College Promise FAQs

Why participate in the Career & College Promise program at Wake Tech?

  • The CCP program offers interested students the opportunity to complete their high school credential and also take classes for college credit.
  • The program helps reduce the cost of a college degree, career certification or diploma.
  • Students may gain entry into a selective college by transferring in as a sophomore or junior.
  • CCP allows students the opportunity to demonstrate the ability to do well in college-level coursework.
  • Students receive dual credit (visit the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction for a CCP dual credit allowance chart).

Who is eligible to participate in Career & College Promise?

All eligible students at any North Carolina high school or homeschool.

How do students enroll in the program?

Prospective students should visit the New CCP Students webpage to view the enrollment steps for the upcoming term. Students currently enrolled (or previously admitted) in the program who plan to continue should visit the Current CCP Students webpage.

What is the difference between CCP classes and AP or IB classes?

CCP classes are college-level classes taught by college faculty. As long as a student maintains a "C" or better in these classes, they will receive college credit.

AP and IB classes are taught by the high school staff at the high school. Students must pass exams for these classes to earn college credit. All three types of classes give students high school credit.

Is there an age limit for taking CCP classes?

There is no age limit for CCP classes, except for the Nurse Aide Career and Technical Education pathway. The minimum age requirement to begin the NAS 101 course is 16½.

How many classes may a student take each semester?

There is no minimum or maximum number of classes a student can take. Students are encouraged to meet with their career development coordinator or school counselor to determine the course load that is most appropriate.

How long is the CCP program?

Students are eligible for the program as long as they are enrolled in high school and meet eligibility requirements. Each student can participate for one freshman, one sophomore, one junior and one senior year of high school.

Can students pursue College Transfer and Career and Technical Education pathways at the same time?

Students are allowed to pursue up to two CCP pathways, but only one can be a College Transfer pathway.

My student is not yet in high school. What should we do to be prepared?

Your student should take their school course work seriously. The grades they make can have a direct impact on whether they will be able to participate in the CCP program later.

What if my student does not have a unweighted 2.8 GPA?

Students can seek a recommendation from their principal or school counselor to participate in the Career and Technical Education pathway with a lower GPA if they do not have test scores that meet college-ready benchmarks. This recommendation must come in the form of a memo and should be submitted with your application packet.

NOTE: Only test scores (not GPA) are evaluated for freshmen and sophomores interested in enrolling within the Career and Technical Education pathway.

What resources are available to a student who is struggling?

If students need some additional support, they are encouraged to visit the Individualized Learning Center for one-on-one tutoring services.

Do all students need test scores?

Students do not need test scores to be admitted; a high school GPA can be used depending on the grade level of the student (juniors and seniors only). Some CTE courses may require testing to satisfy college-level prerequisites. See the Pathway Eligibility page for more information.

Will credits transfer if students don't complete the entire College Transfer pathway?

Yes. All classes transfer under the College Transfer pathways.

Where are the CCP classes offered and at what times?

CCP classes are offered at all six Wake Tech campuses, as well as online. Classes meet at various times.

What happens if there is a conflict between my high school and college schedules?

Students are responsible for attending their college classes even when their high school is on break. They are encouraged to download the Wake Tech app and pay attention to whether classes are canceled or in session.

My student would like to take classes over the summer. Is that possible?

Yes, however, the Summer term is not a typical 16-week term, so the courses are condensed and more rigorous.

Summer courses will begin before traditional high school ends its school year.

Is it possible to place into a higher-level math or substitute math course seen in other pathways?

Students can qualify for higher-level math (MAT 271) in the College Transfer pathway if they submit supporting documentation. Please refer to the Direct Placement form for a list of acceptable criteria within the enrollment steps. Substitutions are sometimes possible and done on an individual basis.

Why should a student choose a CTE Pathway if they are planning to attend a four-year institution?

  • CTE classes are career-focused and an experimental way to try out a field of interest prior to committing to a two- or a four-year degree.
  • Great for learners who learn by "doing" and are motivated based on interest
  • Many CTE pathways are part of parent degrees that can transfer to other colleges. Please visit Transfer Resources to view articulation agreements between colleges and/or programs.
  • Once a student earns a certificate, they are more marketable and valuable in their career field.

Can students take courses outside of their CCP pathway(s)?

Students cannot take classes outside of their pathway until they have completed the entire pathway.

Once a student completes the required courses in a College Transfer or Career and Technical Education pathway, they can choose courses from the degree program that aligns with that pathway. Students are encouraged to contact CCP staff to discuss the parent program(s) and conduct a pathway audit. This also requires the submission of a Change of Status form. Email [email protected] to request the form.

Are CCP students allowed to change their pathway(s)?

Students can change pathways with the approval of the high school principal, counselor or career development coordinator. Students are required to give an explanation of why their educational goals changed on the Change of Status form, and they are encouraged to submit a baccalaureate degree plan showing the need for the course. Please note, there may be additional prerequisites or college ready-benchmarks to meet.

Can the student know whether they can balance high school and college courses simultaneously?

If unsure about balancing high school courses with college-level courses, we recommend beginning with one course and slowly acclimate to the college culture. You can also discuss balancing the loads with your school counselor and/or parents.

How do students know what CCP pathways to enroll in?

Students should meet with their school counselor and/or career and development coordinator to discuss short- and long-term educational and career goals. Students will then explore the College Transfer and Career and Technical Education pathway options to find the program that best aligns with their goals and interests.

Wake Tech's Career Services Office also offers the Career Lens Lab that is designed specifically to magnify the student’s career vision and align them with viable career cluster that matches their skill set and interests.

What requirements are needed on a homeschool high school transcript?

All courses need to be on one high school transcript:

  • Completed courses are broken down by the academic year (Ex. 2019 - 2023 / 12th Grade).
  • Courses in progress (IP) are broken down by academic year (Ex. Precalculus - Grade: - ).
  • Date of high school entry (MM/DD/YYYY)
  • Projected high school graduation date (MM/DD/YYYY)
  • Cumulative, unweighted GPA
  • Name, date of birth, address, the name of the school and the name of the homeschool administrator
  • Homeschool administrator's signature and date on the designated school official area on all documents

Can students participate in sports or clubs at Wake Tech?

CCP students will have access to all of Wake Tech’s student support services, free tutoring, clubs and activities. However, CCP students are not allowed to participate in college-level sports – they can still be a supportive spectator.

What are the requirements needed to continue in the CCP program each semester?

Each term, the student will receive an email (Wake Tech email account) with online instructions, registration dates and deadlines. Information can also be found at the Current CCP Students page.

  • Continue to make progress towards high school graduation requirements
  • Maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA in college coursework after completing two courses at Wake Tech 
  • Meet with a school-designated official, principal or career development counselor each semester to seek permission to participate in CCP
  • Submit a CCP Continuing Student form (with transcript attached) online with high school official signatures verifying they have met the above qualifications prior to registration

Can a student take a class that is not part of the CCP pathway if they are willing to pay for it?

Students cannot take classes outside of their pathway until they have completed their entire pathway.

Can my student take a foreign language class?

Students who are admitted into a College Transfer pathway can take up to 8 credit hours of Spanish or French. Students do have the opportunity to submit approved AP/CLEP scores to place into higher-level courses, but they are still limited to 8 credit hours.

These courses are not a part of the Universal General Education Transfer Component. Students who complete these courses with a grade of "C" or better will receive transfer credit. The receiving university will determine whether the courses will count as general education, pre-major or elective credit.

When and how do students find out what textbooks are needed?

Self-Service lists textbook information for courses that are offered in a semester, along with course descriptions and dates and times of available classes. Visit the Wake Tech Bookstore online. Many students take advantage of college book rental services and/or buy used books in order to cut costs.

Who pays the cost of the student’s textbooks?

Textbooks and supplies are a student’s responsibility. A student’s high school, the school district or another local organization may also cover these costs. Students should check with their principal or school counselor to verify how these costs are paid and explore available resources.

How do students obtain a Wake Tech student ID and parking pass?

Students are required to present a vehicle registration card and license plate number to obtain a Wake Tech parking decal. Students must have a form of identification (e.g., driver's license or passport) to receive a student ID badge. Visit ID Badges & Parking Decals for additional information on times and locations.

What is the difference between an information session and New Student Orientation?

The information session is highly recommended and is the first step in the enrollment process. The session helps students decide whether the CCP program is a good fit for them while they are still in high school. Students and parents will learn the basics of the program, guidelines, deadlines and pathway options available. The information session is available online 24/7.

New Student Orientation is mandatory for new CCP students. Students will learn about college resources, student life, campus safety, course registration and more. To register, visit New Student Orientation.

How do CCP students know whether they have been registered for their desired courses?

Students are encouraged to view their schedules in Self-Service to confirm their registration. Students can utilize the How to Check Your Class Schedule in WebAdvisor and Self-Service resource as a guide.

Students can also schedule a CCP advising appointment to meet with a CCP advisor to confirm their schedule.

What if I do not see the course I requested in Self-Service?

This could mean that the CCP staff is unable to register you for your course(s) for many reasons:

  • The course may be restricted, closed or waitlisted.
  • The course(s) may not be a part of your pathway(s).
  • You might not meet the required prerequisites or may need to take the eLearning Intro assessment to gain access to online learning platforms.

For assistance with schedules, meet with a CCP advisor.

How will I know if my course is online, hybrid or asynchronous, and what does this mean?

This video provides information about the different course delivery formats.

When and how can we talk to a CCP staff member?

For immediate assistance, students can schedule either a Check My Status (students who have not been admitted) or CCP Advising appointment (students who have been admitted) by visiting the CCP Admissions, Advising and Registration page. These sessions provide an opportunity for students to meet one-on-one with a CCP staff member.