Foreign Language Placement Exams
The main objective of foreign language placement exams is to determine the best level for students to continue their French or Spanish language studies at Wake Tech. Course placement is important as students improve their language skills at Wake Tech so that, upon transfer, students may successfully continue their studies at a four-year institution.
Credits earned through a placement exam can count towards graduation requirements at Wake Tech. However, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an academic advisor to determine how credits earned through placement may affect their transfer status, degree completion and financial aid. Each college and university has its own guidelines, so the implications of credits earned through placement exams may vary based on individual student pathways for transfer.
Students may be eligible to take a foreign language placement test if they fall into one or more of the following categories:
- The student has recently earned a grade of "B" (87) or better consistently in three courses of high school study of the same language.
- The student has recently lived or studied in a French- or Spanish-speaking country for more than six months.
- The student has interacted and/or communicated in French or Spanish daily at work or in another formal setting.
How do I take a French or Spanish placement exam?
The eLearning Testing Center (eLTC) at the Scott Northern Wake Campus will accommodate limited in-person testing appointments from Monday, May 23 through Wednesday, July 27, 2022. French or Spanish placement exam appointments must be confirmed three to five weekdays before the desired testing date. Walk-ins cannot be accommodated.
The eLTC is in Building D, Room 125, and testing will take place during the following hours*:
- 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday
*No exams will be administered within one hour of closing time.
Steps to make an appointment:
- Email your request to [email protected]
- In the email subject line, type "Foreign Language Placement Exam Request"
- Include the following:
- Student’s first and last name
- Wake Tech ID number
- Date and time you want to schedule the appointment (allow three to five business days for appointments)
- Placement exam language you want to take (French or Spanish)
On the testing day:
- Arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment (plan to come alone).
- When you arrive on campus, follow posted signs to enter Building D.
- You will be required to show your Wake Tech ID.
- You will be in a room with the test proctor, and occupancy will be based on state social distancing requirements in place. (Learn more about the safety guidelines and protocols for the COVID-19 pandemic.)
Information about French and Spanish placement exams
NOTE: Students who have completed a curriculum foreign language course at Wake Tech are not eligible to take placement exams.
Placement tests are free to Wake Tech students; they may be taken only once while attending Wake Tech. Tests are given using computerized adaptive software. The tests last five to 40 minutes, and results are given immediately.
During the drop/add period at the start of each semester, students who successfully place out of FRE and/or SPA 111/181 will need to drop that class and add the appropriate level of language to study. Alternatively, they may add another class that they may need to meet their degree requirements at Wake Tech. If students have questions regarding which classes they should take for their degree at Wake Tech, they need to consult with an academic advisor.
Questions? Email [email protected]