Welcome LGBTQIA Students
"All young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential." – Harvey Milk
"A community that excludes even one of its members is no community at all." – Dan Wilkins
"Somebody, your father or mine, should have told us that not many people have ever died of love. But multitudes have perished and are perishing every hour – and in the oddest places – for the lack of it." – James Baldwin
"You know, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender – people are people." – Judith Light
"Inclusion is not simply about physical proximity. It's about intentionally planning for the success of all students." – Unknown
Wake Tech resources
- Full Spectrum is Wake Tech's GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance), open to all LGBTQ students and their allies.
- Gender-neutral / single-stall restrooms – There are gender-neutral / single-stall restrooms on any campus.
- The Nest food pantry is available to all students who have food insecurities.
- LGBTQ online resource list by category
- Library resources – A guide to library and campus resources for the LGBTQ community and allies.
- Student Advocacy and Support – Wake Tech assists students with easier access to a range of resources and benefits.
- Wellness Services provides counseling and referral services to empower students to resolve problems and reach personal and academic goals.
- Choosing your name – If you use a name that is other than your given name, you can update your first and middle name, personal pronouns and gender identity on Self-Service. Select "User Options" and "User Profile" from the left-hand side, then select "Edit Personal Identity."
Your chosen name and pronoun will appear on class rosters and attendance rosters. Allow up to five business days for Microsoft Teams to update. You might need to log out and back into Teams to see the changes. In Blackboard, select "Other Name" and then select the option to use "Other Name."
This is not a legal name change. If you would like your student ID card to display your chosen name, you can get a new ID from Campus Safety.
- Equality North Carolina is dedicated to securing equal rights and justice for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer North Carolinians.
- LGBT Center of Raleigh's mission is to strengthen individual and community development through social and educational activities, to facilitate the incubation of supportive services and groups and to identify needs and advocate for resources benefiting the diverse population of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, their friends and their supporters within and beyond central North Carolina.
- Lambda Legal is the oldest and largest national legal organization whose mission is to achieve full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.
- National Center for Transgender Equality has a mission to advocate to change policies and society to increase understanding and acceptance of transgender people.
- PFLAG's mission is to support families, allies and people who are LGBTQ, education for themselves and others about the unique issues and challenges facing people who are LGBTQ and advocacy in the communities to change attitudes and create policies and laws that achieve full equality for people who are LGBTQ.
- The Safe Zone Project is a free online resource for creating powerful, effective LGBTQ awareness and Ally training workshops.
- The Trevor Project was founded by the creators of the Academy Award-winning short film "Trevor." It is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) people ages 13-24.
- Teaching Tolerance is a blog, a place where educators who care about diversity, equity and justice can find news, suggestions, conversation and support.