Many North Carolina towns are in need of new, trained code enforcement officers due to the increase in business and residential construction projects and because experienced inspectors are reaching retirement age.
Wake Tech offers both continuing education credits for veteran inspectors and classes aspiring inspectors need to work in the field of code inspection – building, plumbing, electrical and mechanical inspection; fire code; general contractor exam preparation; and administration classes.
Financial assistance available
Workforce Continuing Education offers financial assistance for many workforce training programs through the Propel program and other resources. Email [email protected] for more information.
"Wake Tech had the right courses at the right times for me."
– Andrew Szwarckop
Course details and registration information
- ... understand the structure and requirements of the North Carolina Building Code.
- ... be able to determine code compliance when submitting/evaluating applications for permits, performing site inspections and/or conducting plan reviews when applicable.
- Administration, Use and Occupancy Classification, Special Detailed Requirements Based on Use and Occupancy, General Building Heights and Areas
- Types of Construction, Fire Resistance Rated Construction, Fire Protection Systems
- Means of Egress
- Accessibility, Structural Design, Structural Tests and Special Inspections, Soils and Foundations, Concrete
- Steel, Glass and Glazing, Plastic, Elevators and Conveying Systems, Final Examination (2 Hrs)
- Upon successful completion of this class and in conjunction with other requirements as set forth by the NC Code Officials Qualification Board, students will be able to sit for the Building Standard Level ll exam.
- Upon successfully passing the State exam and by complying to the rules as stated in Section 11 NCAC 08.0706 of the NC Code Officials Qualification Board Regulations, a standard certificate will be issued.
2018 North Carolina Residential Code
2018 Manufactured Housing Code
or the most current versions of each of the respective code enforcement manuals.
To purchase course books, got to the following website: https://www.ncosfm.gov/codes/code-book-sales
- Attendance 90% or above
- Minimum passing score of 70% on end of course exam
North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board Approved Coursework
North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board Certified Instructor and
Successful completion of an instructor training workshop conducted by the North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board
- Building Inspector ll
- Real Estate
- Home Inspectors
- Planning Departments
- Law and Administration - COD-3101A3
- Blueprint Reading - BPR-3011A1
- Blueprint Reading - BPR-3011A2
- Blueprint Reading - BPR-3011A3
- Blueprint Reading - BPR-3011A4
- Residential Blueprint Reading - BPR-3011B4
- Blueprint and Schematic Reading - CTP-3001RB1
- Blue Print Reading and Schematics - CTP-M1
- Blueprint Reading - FIT-3001J1
- OSHA 10 Hour General Industry - Safety - CTP-CP1
- OSHA 30 Hour Construction Safety - OSH-3013A1
- OSHA 30-Hour Construction Industry - OSH-3013B3
- OSHA 30 Hour Construction Safety - SEF-3001BI1
- OSHA 30 Hour General Industry Safety - SEF-3001BJ1
ConnectWake Tech eNews
Wake Tech Podcast
Wake Tech Mobile App