Medical Sonography Admissions
The Medical Sonography Program prepares students for a career as a medical sonographer, a skilled health care professional who uses high-frequency sound waves that produce images of the body's internal structures. Employment opportunities include hospitals, clinics, physician offices, medical laboratories, government agencies and industry. The program is accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS).
For Admissions questions, contact:
For Health Sciences program questions, email:
The following steps are required to be classified as a Pre-Sonography student:
- Apply to Wake Tech
- Complete the mandatory information session for Sonography
- Submit official transcript(s) to [email protected].
- Apply for financial aid and veterans benefits, if applicable
- Once admitted, follow the steps to enroll on the New Student Checklist
The Sonography (SON) program is a limited-enrollment program and uses a competitive acceptance procedure with a point system, not a waiting list, to determine who can register for SON classes. Applicants are ranked based grades earned in the general education classes required for the Sonography program. Grades of "C" or better are required in all program-related curriculum classes. Acceptance into the Sonography program is not guaranteed.
NOTE: BIO classes must have been completed within five years of the first SON class, and any math class (MAT 143, MAT 152, MAT 171 or equivalent) must be completed within 10 years of the first SON class.
The following items are requirements for the Sonography program selection process and must be submitted by the program application deadline:
- The following classes must be completed by the program application deadline with a grade of "C" or better to be eligible to submit the program application:
- BIO 163, Anatomy & Physiology, or BIO 168 and BIO 169
- PHY 110 and PHY 110A, Conceptual Physics & Lab, or college-level physics with lab
- ENG 111, Writing and Inquiry
- MAT 143, MAT 152 or MAT 171
- ENG 112, COM 110, COM 120 or COM 231
- Submit a Medical Sonography program application to [email protected] during the following application windows:
- October 1 through January 31 for the Fall class
- April 1 through July 31 for the Spring class
- Submit verification of Nurse Aide 1 (NA 1) certification by providing a copy of your current listing on the North Carolina Nurse Aide Registry. Verification must be submitted with your program application.
- Official ATI TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) scores must be submitted by the program application deadline. Review the TEAS Testing page for more information. (NOTE: Only two TEAS tests are allowed per calendar year, with a minimum of 30 days between tests.)
If accepted into the Medical Sonography program, students are required to attend a mandatory departmental orientation and complete all clinical site requirements.