Wake Tech is dedicated to supporting historically underutilized businesses (HUBs) in campus construction projects and to procure equipment, goods and services for the college. In adopting a HUB program, Wake Tech supports North Carolina General Statute 143-128-2, striving to achieve or exceed a goal of 10 percent participation by HUB-certified firms on all public construction contracts.
- To provide HUBs with equal access and opportunity in the design, construction and community participation aspects of Wake Tech construction projects
- To encourage the participation of HUB-certified firms by directing them to department stakeholders and construction companies that can benefit from their services
- To comply with a State Board of Community Colleges resolution expressing its intent for each college to achieve the 10 percent goal
- To inform Wake Tech stakeholders about HUBs and raise awareness of the services offered by HUB firms with the capacity to compete for Wake Tech contracts
- To expand economic opportunity and support job creation in the minority business community and to support economic development throughout Wake County and North Carolina
- To conduct and sponsor education and training workshops that support HUB firms in becoming active participants in contract opportunities at Wake Tech
- Marketing: Increase internal and external awareness of the Wake Tech HUB Program through the website and through trade shows and other community events.
- Outreach: Attend all project outreach and pre-bid conferences, share information about bid notifications via various outlets and engage in continuous recruitment efforts.
- Technical assistance: Provide one-on-one technical assistance to HUB firms and partner with other entities to offer assistance on a variety of topics.
- Utilization: Provide HUBs with equal opportunity to participate in every aspect of Wake Tech construction and procurement. Work with project managers to enhance HUB utilization in construction-related projects and with Business Services staff to enhance HUB participation in procurement.
- Compliance: Monitor projects to assess the participation levels submitted at the beginning of the project. Evaluate good faith effort by the contractor and determine compliance with regard to quantity, intensity and results of effort as they relate to G.S. 143-128.2.
HUBs: Why contract with Wake Tech?
- Develop and expand your business through exposure to Wake Tech construction and procurement contract opportunities
- Promote your services by joining the list of Wake Tech-certified businesses through the vendor registration process
- Receive notice of Wake Tech bid opportunities, RFPs and RFQs
- Receive information about networking events
- Receive technical assistance as needed from the HUB program coordinator
Even though Wake Tech Facilities Design and Construction maintains a list of both non-HUB and HUB firms that want to do business with the college, HUB firms are encouraged to become certified by an accepted certifying agency.
Wake Tech accepts certifications from the North Carolina Department of Administration for HUBs and from the North Carolina Department of Transportation for Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBEs).
Download a presentation by the Wake Tech HUB Program detailing best practices for documentation and good-faith efforts when bidding on projects.
For more information, contact Wake Tech HUB Coordinator Carla Daniels at 919-866-9160 or [email protected].
ConnectWake Tech eNews
Wake Tech Podcast
Wake Tech Mobile App