Student Conduct

The Office of Student Conduct strives to provide students with an opportunity to learn from behavior that may impact them negatively on campus and within the community at large. Student Conduct provides service to students, as well as the campus community at large, by addressing conduct concerns through the following means:

  • Providing help in the growth, distribution, clarification and administration of the college's student conduct policies
  • Warranting that a student's right to due process is applied impartially, constantly and effectively
  • Working in partnership with college personnel to address student conduct concerns
  • Providing learning opportunities for those who actively engage in the conduct process
  • Providing alternative approaches to resolving conflicts and future violations of the Student Code of Conduct 

In doing so, we work to instill the college's core values of accountability, respect, responsibility, communication, collaboration and critical thinking, as well as supporting a safe and effective learning environment for all.

Frequently asked questions

How will I know if I have been accused of violating the Student Code of Conduct?

If it is an academic integrity violation, your instructor will notify you first. Conduct officers will notify you through various means: email, telephone, visiting your class or mail.

What should I do if I receive a letter indicating I may have violated the Student Code of Conduct?

Contact the conduct officer who sent you the letter as soon as possible to schedule an appointment. The conduct officer would like to hear from you about facts of the case and provide you with pertinent information.

Can I have my initial conduct meeting virtually, or does it have to be in person?

We make every effort to accommodate the needs of our students, and virtual appointments are available.

Does the conduct officer record our meetings?

No, we don’t typically record meetings, but hearings are recorded.

Can I be found responsible for the accused violation if I don’t meet with the conduct officer?

Yes, if you don’t meet with the conduct officer, they will make a determination based upon all information received after attempts to contact you.

Can I still attend class while my case is being processed?

In most situations, yes. However, some situations will necessitate removal from class. If so, that will be outlined in your conduct letter.

Can I appeal the sanction that I am given by the conduct officer if found responsible?

Yes, even if you are found responsible, you have the right to appeal a sanction. You have 15 business days after the sanction has been given to complete the request to have a hearing. A link to the form is provided in the General Outcome letter that you receive.

What will happen if I don't complete the sanction(s) given by the conduct officer by the deadline?

If you fail to complete the sanction(s) given to you by the deadline, you may be given an additional sanction and have a hold placed on your registration. The issuance of an additional sanction(s) will depend upon the severity of the sanction(s).

Can a hold be placed on my academic record for a student conduct violation?

Yes, a disciplinary hold can be placed on your academic record until you have met the requirements of an imposed sanction.

Can being found responsible affect my financial aid?

Yes, if you are being suspended and aren't able to complete your coursework, this could affect your financial aid. You may want to drop a class, which also may impact your financial aid.

Can being found responsible for a violation affect university transfer or employment?

Yes, being found responsible and receiving a sanction can be provided to potential schools and employers with your permission. For example, if you are planning on transferring to another college or university, you will complete a form giving that school permission to gather information, which often includes whether you have a conduct sanction. Potential employers can request such information as well.

Can being found responsible for multiple conduct violations prevent me from being enrolled?

Yes, if you are expelled, trespassed, suspended and/or have not completed sanctions, you may not be able to register for classes. If you are unsure, check with a conduct officer.

Does the outcome of my conduct case get noted on my academic transcript?

No, it is not noted on your academic transcript. Your record resides with the Office of Student Conduct.

Who will know about my conduct report?

Typically, the reporter of the incident and department head for that area are notified. In other cases, other college employees are notified on a need-to-know basis.

You may also give other colleges and potential employers access to your academic and conduct record. Once you have given permission and an inquiry comes to our office, we will answer the questions that are related to conduct.

Can you discuss if sanctions were given to anyone associated with my case?

If there is another student associated with your case, we do not share those sanctions. The only exception is a "mutual no-contact order," where both parties agree not to have contact with each other. Other college employees will be given information on a need-to-know basis.

Is there anyone I can speak with about how I'm being treated in my class?

Yes, you should speak with your instructor, department head and dean, in that order, if needed. The college also has an Ombuds Office, which treats all information that you share confidentially.

Can I appeal an academic penalty given by my instructor with the Office of Student Conduct?

No, academic penalties given to students are to be addressed by the academic department.