Many North Carolina towns are in need of new, trained code enforcement officers due to the increase in business and residential construction projects and because experienced inspectors are reaching retirement age.
Wake Tech offers both continuing education credits for veteran inspectors and classes aspiring inspectors need to work in the field of code inspection – building, plumbing, electrical and mechanical inspection; fire code; general contractor exam preparation; and administration classes.
Financial assistance available
Workforce Continuing Education offers financial assistance for many workforce training programs through the Propel program and other resources. Email [email protected] for more information.
"Wake Tech had the right courses at the right times for me."
– Andrew Szwarckop
Course details and registration information
- ... understand the structure and requirements of the North Carolina Building Code.
- ... be able to determine code compliance when submitting/evaluating applications for permits, performing site inspections and/or conducting plan reviews when applicable.
- Building Planning
- Footings and Foundations
- Family Dwellings
- Floor Construction
- Wall Construction and Coverings
- Roof and Ceiling Construction
- Public Safety and Special Construction
- Final Exam
- Upon successful completion of this class and in conjunction with other requirements as set forth by the NC Code Officials Qualification Board, students will be able to sit for the Building Standard Level l exam.
- Upon successfully passing the State exam and by complying to the rules as stated in Section 11 NCAC 08.0706 of the NC Code Officials Qualification Board Regulations, a standard certificate will be issued.
2018 North Carolina Residential Code
To purchase textbooks, use the following link: https://www.ncosfm.gov/codes/code-book-sales
- Attendance 90% or above
- Minimum passing score of 70% on end of course exam
North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board Approved Coursework
North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board Certified Instructor and
Successful completion of an instructor training workshop conducted by the North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board
Real Estate Professionals;
City, County and State Officials
- Building Inspector Level l
- Real Estate
- Home Inspectors
- Planning Departments
- Law and Administration - COD-3101A3
- Residential Blueprint Reading - BPR-3011B4
- OSHA 10 Hour Construction Safety - OSH-3013B1
ConnectWake Tech eNews
Wake Tech Podcast
Wake Tech Mobile App