Student Conduct Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I receive a letter indicating that I may have violated the Code of Conduct?

Contact the Conduct Officer who sent you the letter as soon as possible to schedule an appointment. The Conduct Officer would like to hear from you about facts of the case and provide you with pertinent information.

Conduct Officers  


How will I know if I have been accused of violating the Student Code of Conduct?

If it is an academic integrity violation, your instructor will notify you first. Conduct Officers will notify you through various means: your my.waketech email address, telephone, visiting your class and/or United States Postal Service (USPS).

Can I be found responsible for the accused violation if I don’t meet with the Conduct Officer?

Yes, if you don’t meet with the Conduct Officer, they will make a determination based upon all information received after attempts to contact you.

How long do I have to appeal the decision if I am found responsible?

If you choose not to accept responsibility you will have 15 business days to appeal the Conduct Officer’s sanction.

Can being found responsible for a violation impact university transfer or employment?

Yes, being found responsible and receiving a sanction can be provided to potential schools and employers with your permission. For example: If you are planning on transferring to another college/university you will complete a form giving that school permission to gather information which often includes whether you have a conduct sanction. Some potential employers request information also.

Can I appeal the sanction that I am given by the Conduct Officer if found responsible?

Yes, even if you are found responsible, you have the right to appeal a sanction that is given to you by a Conduct Officer. You will have 15 business days after the sanction has been given to complete the request to have a hearing. A link to the form is provided in the General Outcome letter that you receive.

What are my rights in the Student Disciplinary process?

For detailed information please: Student Disciplinary Process and go to IV Code of Conduct, section G:

Can a hold be placed on my Academic Record for a Student Conduct violation?

Yes, a Disciplinary hold can be placed on your academic record until you have met the requirements of an imposed sanction.

Can being found responsible impact my Financial Aid?

Yes, if you are being suspended and aren’t able to complete your coursework this may impact your financial aid. You may want to drop a class, which may impact your financial aid.

Who will know about my conduct report?

Typically, the reporter of the incident and department head for that area are notified. In other cases, other college employees are notified of a need to know basis.
You may also give other colleges and potential employers access to your academic and conduct record. Once you have given permission and an inquiry comes to our office, we will answer the questions that are related to conduct.

Can you discuss if any sanctions were given to anyone associated with my case?

If there is another student that is associated with your case, we do not share those sanctions. The exception being a “mutual no contact order,” where both parties agree not to have contact with each other. Other college employees will be given information on a need to know basis.

Is there anyone that I can speak to about how I’m being treated in my class?

Yes, we suggest that when possible, you speak with your instructor, department head and dean in that order if needed.  The college also has an Ombuds Office.  The information that you share is confidential in nature.

Can being found responsible for multiple conduct violations prevent me from being enrolled?

Yes, if you are expelled, trespassed, suspended and/or if you have not completed sanctions, you may not be able to register for classes. If you are unsure check with a Conduct Officer.

What will happen if I don’t complete the sanction(s), given by the Conduct Officer, by the deadline?

If you fail to complete the sanction(s) given to you by the deadline, you may be given an additional sanction and have a hold placed on your registration. The issuance of an additional sanction(s) will depend upon the severity of the sanction(s).

Does the outcome of my conduct case get noted on my academic transcript?

No, it is not noted on your academic transcript. Your record resides with the Office of Student Conduct.

Can I appeal an academic penalty, given by my instructor, with the Office of Student Conduct?

No, academic penalties given to students are to be addressed by the academic department.

Does the Conduct Officer record our meetings?

No, we don’t typically record our meetings. Hearings are however recorded.

Can I have my initial conduct meeting virtually or does it have to be in person?

We make every effort to accommodate the needs of our students and virtual appointments are available.

Can I still attend class while my case is being processed?

In most situations yes. However, some situations will necessitate removal from class. If so, that will be outlined in your conduct letter.