Fostering Bright Futures Mission, Goals & Eligibility
The objective of the Fostering Bright Futures (FBF) program is to identify and support young adults who have been served in the North Carolina foster care system and provide resources to eliminate barriers that would typically derail from them from meeting educational and life goals. By providing financial, academic and social support, the FBF program helps these young men and women learn the skills they need to live as independent adults and get the education needed to secure gainful and meaningful employment.
The FBF program is made possible by a network of community partners, including Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, Dress for Success, Interfaith Food Shuttle, Kramden Institute, The Green Chair Project, United Way of the Greater Triangle, Wake County Human Services and Wheels 4 Hope.
The mission of the FBF program is to support program participants* in their transition to higher education at Wake Tech. The FBF program will support former foster youth while students establish personal and educational goals and marketable skills while earning a degree.
Fostering Bright Futures & the Wake Tech Foundation are committed to the success of our students by doing the following:
- Mentoring and supporting program participants in completing a diploma, certificate or degree at Wake Tech
- Increasing the number of former foster youth transferring to bachelor's degree programs
- Decreasing the number of high school dropouts among foster youth by providing a pathway to higher education
- Helping program participants develop life skills and financial independence
For a program participant to be eligible to participate in Fostering Bright Futures, they must meet the following requirements:
- A legal resident of any North Carolina county
- 16 to 25 years of age at the time of entry
- Accepted into Wake Tech
- Accepted into Fostering Bright Futures between October 15 and February 15 each year
- Have a high school diploma or GED on file before the fall semester begins
- Complete the acceptance criteria provided by FBF staff
- Attend mandatory FBF new student orientation.
*Current Wake Tech students can reach out to the FBF staff about joining the program.
ConnectWake Tech eNews
Wake Tech Podcast
Wake Tech Mobile App