AFA Advising Frequently Asked Questions

When should I decide on a school or program to transfer to?

Knowing your intended area of study and the college requirements from the transferring institution will help you be certain your course choices at Wake Tech are best suited for the specific institution. Each school has its own requirements and curriculum. Please check each school for a Program of Study – which is an overview of the degree requirements.
The ACA 122 course offers students the opportunity to explore their transfer opportunities. Students may also set up advising appointments to discuss transfer options and may wish to discuss transfer with faculty in their area of interest.

When should I see my advisor? And what is an Advising Hold?

Student advising holds are put in place each semester and must be removed by seeing an advisor. Students need to meet with an AFA advisor prior to each semester (starting in October and April typically). Check VASE Bb shell for updates on Advising Appointments and sign-up sheets.

Do I need to take specific art courses first?

All AFA students should take 121 and 131 prior to taking any other 2-D studio courses; Art 122 should be completed prior to taking other 3-D arts classes. Please follow the guidelines in the Wake Tech AFA Program of Study and recommended semester by semester progression of courses.

How much experience do I need to have to begin the AFA program?

Prior art experience isn’t mandatory to succeed in arts studio courses, but it can support your ability to confidently approach the coursework. The ART studio courses are college level courses and intended for art majors.

I have AP credits, took a CLEP exam or have transfer credits?

Have the scores or transcript sent as soon as possible to ensure these are appropriately evaluated. Expect to see these evaluated after the start of your first semester and not prior. We recommend having copies of any scores or prior credits available during initial advising meetings. AP ART courses are not currently accepted for ART coursework.

Which colleges have a Transfer Agreement with the AFA program?

In May 2017, the North Carolina Community College System and the UNC System Institutions finalized a Statewide Articulation Agreement for seamless transfer into the for students who begin visual arts studies at a community college and then transfer to one of the UNC BFA visual arts programs. The following UNC institutions will accept the AFA degree coursework (60 credit hours) based upon successful admission to the visual arts program and earning C or above on all courses.
- Appalachian State University – BFA in Studio Art, East Carolina University – BFA in Art, UNC Asheville – BFA in Art
- UNC-Chapel Hill – BFA in Studio Art, UNC Charlotte – BFA in Art, UNC Greensboro – BFA in Studio Art,
- Western Carolina University – BFA in Art

We also have Transfer Agreements with:
- Savannah College of Art and Design - BA in Painting and BA in Sculpture
- North Carolina Wesleyan College – Various BA programs.

*See Wake Tech’s AFA website for updates on Transfer Agreements.

What degrees will credits in AFA be suitable for?

AFA allows students to successfully transfer and seek a BFA, or BA in visual arts including but not limited to: painting and drawing, sculpture, ceramics, graphic design or communication art, printmaking, art education, art history.