Out-of-State Student Complaint Process for Online Courses

Wake Tech strives to provide a dynamic learning environment to ensure successful achievement of students' goals by administering sound policies, curricula, instruction and support services. In compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, institutions offering distance education courses or programs must provide current and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with the college, its accrediting agency and the state agencies that handle complaints in the students’ states of residence.

Students residing outside North Carolina while taking online courses from Wake Tech who desire to resolve an academic grievance or complaint should first follow Wake Tech’s Student Grievance Procedure or the Student Complaint Procedure outlined in the Student Code of Conduct, Rights and Responsibilities section of the College Catalog (Select Code of Conduct tab; then read Section IV Student Code of Conduct. For general complaints, select Other Complaints tab; Section V).

Complaints should be filed via the online Student Complaint Reporting Form only when there is no other appeal or grievance procedure.

However, if for some reason the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, the next step would be to file a complaint with Wake Technical Community College's accrediting agency. Wake Technical Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees. Wake Technical Community College also may offer credentials such as certificates and diplomas at approved degree levels.

Questions about the accreditation of Wake Technical Community College may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling 404-679-4500 or by using information available on SACSCOC's website (www.sacscoc.org).

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement-North Carolina
(SARA-NC) Complaint Process

Students may also file a complaint with SARA-NC. SARA-NC is the portal for the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority. Students should follow the SARA-NC complaint process and use the SARA-NC complaint form.

SARA-NC Contact Information:

North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
c/o SARA North Carolina
P.O. Box 41349
Raleigh, NC 27629
855-SARA-1-NC (855-727-2162) or 919-549-8614, extension 4667

Complaint form
Complaint process

Students residing outside of North Carolina while taking online courses at Wake Tech may also file a complaint with their state. Below is a list of agencies in each state responsible for handling complaints regarding out-of-state distance education programs:

State Agency Contact information
Alabama Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education P.O. Box 302000
Montgomery, AL 36130-2000
Telephone: 334-242-1998
Fax: 334-242-0268

Complaint process
Alaska Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education Kierke Kussart
Program Coordinator for Institutional Authorization

[email protected]

PO Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811-0505

Complaint process
Arizona Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education 1400 W. Washington St.
Phoenix, AZ 85007

Complaint form
Arkansas Arkansas Department of Higher Education 425 Main St., Suite 400
Little Rock, AR 72201


Complaint form
California California Department of Consumer Affairs Consumer Information Center
1625 North Market Blvd., Suite N-112
Sacramento, CA 95834
email: [email protected]

Complaint process

General online complaint form
Colorado Colorado Department of Higher Education 1560 Broadway, Suite 1600
Denver, CO 80202

Complaint process
Connecticut Office of Higher Education 61 Woodland St.
Hartford, CT 06105-2326
Telephone: 860-947-1822

Complaint process
Delaware Delaware Department of Education Delaware Department of Education
Accountability and Performance
The Townsend Building
401 Federal St., Suite 2
Dover, DE 19901

District of Columbia District of Columbia Education Licensure Commission 810 First St. NE
9th Floor
Washington, DC 20002

Complaint form
Florida Florida Department of Education Commission for Independent Education
325 W. Gaines St., Suite 1414
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400
Fax: 850-245-3238
[email protected]

Complaint process
Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission 2082 E. Exchange Place, Suite 220 
Tucker, GA 30084-5305 
Telephone: 770-414-3300
Fax: 770-414-3309

Complaint rules
Hawaii Hawaii Post-secondary Education Authorization Program P.O. Box 541
Honolulu, HI 96809

Complaint form
Idaho Idaho Board of Education 650 W. State St.
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0037
Telephone: 208-334-2270
Fax: 208-334-2632

Complaint process
Illinois Illinois Board of Higher Education 1 N. Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 333
Springfield, IL 62701-1377
Institutional Complaint Hotline:

Complaint process
Indiana Indiana Board for Proprietary Education Board for Proprietary Education
Indiana Commission for Higher Education
101 W. Ohio St., Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46204-4206


Student complaints
Complaint process
Iowa Iowa College Student Aid Commission 430 E. Grand Ave.
5th Floor
Des Moines, IA 50309-1920
Telephone: 515-725-3400

College aid
Complaint process
Kansas Kansas Board of Regents 1000 SW Jackson St., Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612-1368
Telephone: 785-296-3421

Complaint process
Kentucky Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education Director of Postsecondary Licensing
Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capitol Center Drive
Suite 320
Frankfort, KY 40601

Complaint process
Louisiana Louisiana Board of Regents Consumer Protection Division
Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
Office of the Attorney General
P.O. Box 94005
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005
Telephone: 1-800-351-4889

Complaint process
Maine State of Maine
Department of Education
23 State House Station
Augusta, ME, 04333-0023

Complaint form
Maryland Maryland Higher Education Commission Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division
200 St. Paul Place
Baltimore, MD 21202
Complaint process
Massachusetts Massachusetts Board of Higher Education Alex Nally
SARA Coordinator
Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
One Ashburton Place; Room 1401
Boston, MA 02108
[email protected]
State SARA website

Complaint process
Michigan State of Michigan Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs
Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau
Administrative Services Section-Complaint Intake
P.O. Box 30018
Lansing, MI 48909

Complaint form
Minnesota Registration & Licensing
Minnesota Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108
Telephone: 1-800-657-3866

Complaint process
Mississippi Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation 3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211-6453
Telephone: 601-432-6372
Fax: 601-432-6225

Complaint process
Missouri Missouri Department of Higher Education 205 Jefferson St.
P.O. Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469
Telephone: 1-800-473-6757
Fax: 573-751-6635

Complaint info
Montana Montana University System
Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education
2500 Broadway
P.O. Box 203201
Helena, MT 59620-3201
Telephone: 406-444-6570

Complaint process
Nebraska Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education P.O. Box 95005
Lincoln, NE 68509-5005
Telephone: 402-471-2847

Filing a complaint
Nevada Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education 1860 E. Sahara Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89104
Telephone: 702-486-7330

Commission website
Complaint process
New Hampshire New Hampshire Department of Education, Division of Higher Education, Higher Education 101 Pleasant St.
Concord, NH 03301-3852

Filing a complaint
New Jersey New Jersey Secretary of Higher Education 20 W. State St., 4th Floor
P.O. Box 542
Trenton, NJ 08625-0542
Telephone: 609-292-7225

Complaint process
New Mexico New Mexico Higher Education Department 2044 Galisteo St., Suite 4
Santa Fe, NM  87505
Telephone: 505-476-8400

Complaint form
New York Office of College and University Evaluation
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Ave., Room 969 EBA
Albany,  NY 12234
Telephone: 518-474-1551
Fax: 518-486-2779

Filing a complaint
North Carolina North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
223 S. West St.
Suite 1800
Raleigh, NC 27603
(919) 962-4550

North Dakota Director of Distance Education & State Authorization 600 E. Capital Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58501-1217
Telephone: 701-328-2678

Filing a complaint
Ohio Ohio Department of Higher Education 25 S. Front St.
Columbus, OH 43215
Telephone: 614-466-6000

Filing a complaint
Oklahoma Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education 655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Telephone: 405-225-9100

Complaint form
Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission   ATTN: Complaints-ODA
775 Court St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
Telephone: 503-947-5716 Complaint process
Pennsylvania Bureau of Postsecondary & Adult Education
Pennsylvania Department of Education
333 Market St., 12th Floor 
Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333

Complaint form
Puerto Rico Puerto Rico Council on Higher Education P.O. Box 19900
San Juan, PR 00910-1900
Telephone: 787-641-7100
Fax: 787-641-2562

Complaint process
Rhode Island Commissioner of Higher Education
Rhode Island Office of Higher Education
Rhode Island Office of the Postsecondary Commissioner
560 Jefferson Blvd., Suite 200
Warwick, RI 02886
Telephone: 401-736-1100

Complaint procedures
Complaint form
South Carolina South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
Academic Affairs & Licensing
1122 Lady St., Suite 300
Columbia, SC 29201
Telephone: 803-737-2260
Fax: 803-737-2297

Complaint form
South Dakota South Dakota Board of Regents 306 E. Capitol Ave., Suite 200
Pierre, SD 57501

Complaint form
Tennessee Tennessee Higher Education Commission Division of Postsecondary State Authorization
404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1900
Nashville, TN 37243
Telephone: 615-741-3605

Complaint process
Texas Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board College Readiness & Success Division
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, TX 78711-2788
Telephone: 512-427-6101

Complaint process
Utah Utah Division of Consumer Protection Utah Division of Consumer Protection
160 East 300 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Complaint process
Vermont Vermont Department of Education 120 State St.
Montpelier, VT 05620-2501
Telephone: 802-828-3135

Complaint process
Virginia Virginia State Council of Higher Education 101 N. 14th St., 10th Floor
James Monroe Bldg.
Richmond, VA 23219
Telephone: 804-225-2600

Complaint process
Washington Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board
128 10th Ave. SW
P.O. Box 43105
Olympia, WA 98504-3105

Complaint process
West Virginia West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
Community & Technical College System of West Virginia
1018 Kanawha Blvd. East, Suite 700
Charleston, WV 25301
Telephone: 304-558-4016

Complaint process
Wisconsin Wisconsin Educational Approval Board Department of Safety and Professional Services
1400 E. Washington Ave.
Room 112
Madison, WI 53703

Email: [email protected] 
Website: dsps.wi.gov/Pages/Programs/EducationalApproval/Default.aspx
Student Complaints
Wyoming Wyoming Department of Education 122 W. 25th St., Suite E200
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Telephone: 307-777-7675

Complaint form

Professional licensure

Currently, Wake Tech does not offer an online program that leads to professional licensure. The college's licensure and certification programs are tied to North Carolina or national certifications. Students seeking to complete licensure or certification programs with Wake Tech and planning to move to another state will need to contact that specific state's licensure board to learn how to obtain a license or certification in that particular state.

Also, you will need to contact the degree program administrator within Wake Tech directly, prior to enrolling in the course or degree program.