Maintaining F-1 Status

  • Register and maintain a minimum of 12 credit hours every Fall and Spring semester. You can only take one online course per 12 credit hours per semester.¬† A "W" does not count towards¬†the minimum of 12 credit hours. If you have difficulty with this requirement, you must meet with the International Student Coordinator to discuss your situation before you register. F-1 Visa status has no provision for part-time study.

  • Know the expiration date of your I-20, Visa and Passport. Your I-20 can be extended or changed by the International Student Coordinator. Your visa can only be renewed outside the U.S. at a Consulate or Embassy in your home country. Your passport can be renewed in the U.S. by your home country embassy (a list is available).

  • DO NOT work without authorization. Work authorization for F-1 students is very limited.

  • Keep the International Student Office notified of any changes in your mailing address, phone number, visa status or enrollment status.

Remember - It is always best to check with the International Student Coordinator if you have questions about immigration or visa status issues.