Financial Documents Needed by International Students

Instructions to complete financial documents for I-20

Refer to this page when completing the Affidavit of Support and when obtaining supporting evidence of financial support from your bank. Similar documentation will be required by the U.S. consulate or embassy with your application for a non-immigrant visa. International applicants are not eligible for scholarships or financial aid through the college.


  1. A notarized Affidavit of Support form completed by your sponsor. 

    *In your sponsorship statement, your sponsor must write a clear statement of intent to support you. (Example: "I intend to cover all educational and living expenses for (applicant’s name) for the duration of his or her studies.")
    *The signature of your sponsor must be notarized or certified by a public official.
  2. A letter from your or your sponsor’s financial institution, issued within three months, giving the following information: 
  • Date the letter was issued
  • Account holder's name
  • Current account balance (showing a minimum of $29,350)
  • Foreign currency code or U.S. dollar equivalent
  2. This letter must be on the bank's letterhead and signed by a bank official. If the bank letter is not in English, the letter must be accompanied by a certified translation. A photocopy or original copy of your or your sponsor’s monthly bank statement or income does not qualify.

    Sample bank letter

If you plan to support yourself (no sponsor), an Affidavit of Support is not required. You must, however, submit a letter from your bank with the above information and the bank account must be in your name.

If you have a family member or friend who lives in the Raleigh area and plans to provide you with housing free of charge, that person must submit an Affidavit of Financial Support Form for International Students. On the form, a clear statement of intent to provide room and board free of charge for the duration of studies must be written, and the signature must be notarized. In such a case, the estimated living expenses of $10,350 per year do not have to be documented. The blank Affidavit of Support form may be duplicated for this purpose (or if you have multiple sponsors).

*If your financial documentation is insufficient, you will not be issued an I-20.