As our new President takes office, there is still much work to do to bridge political divides and build the capacity to work together across differences. To support our students, faculty and staff in engaging in effective political discourse we are working with a group called Braver Angels to create safe spaces to come together, address concerns, and share information. Due to COVID, we will be meeting and holding discussions MS TEAMS and/or Zoom.
One of the primary missions of Braver Angels is to depolarize America by fostering and creating opportunities for personal reflection, civil discourse and understanding. If you are interested in learning more, please join the Wake Tech Braver Angels MS Team. We will be posting weekly, sharing resources, and facilitating discussions that can help everyone!
Opportunities for Participation
Depolarizing Within Workshops (Facilitated by Braver Angels organization):
- Dates: January 27 - 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. and
February 3 - 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Description: A free, two-hour workshop helps participants become more aware of their own "inner polarizer." It teaches how to be critical without demonizing, dismissing, or stereotyping large swaths of the population. And it offers strategies for intervening constructively in social conversations with like-minded peers when these conversations veer into contempt and ridicule for people who hold other political views.
- Details: Offered via zoom on Wednesday, Jan. 27th from 2-4pm and Wednesday, Feb. 3rd from 7-9pm. Select the session that works best for you. There is also a recommended 40 minute pre-training you will receive once you register. Students can earn 2 hours of Service Learning credit for participating.
- Registration (via eventbrite):
Braver Discussions: Targeted to Students/Open to faculty and staff
We are offering two opportunities for students to discuss politics with one another in a facilitated, virtual environment. This will be modeled and co-led with Peter Crow (Former Professor of Communication and Braver Angels Volunteer). Please watch this sample video for what to expect:
- The Braver Discussions will be held on Wednesday, February 24 from 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. and Wednesday, March 3 from 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Please join the Wake Tech Braver Angels MS Team to get information about how to participate in the Braver Discussions.