Building & Construction
If you have an interest in problem-solving, working with your hands or making a drawing come to life, consider a career in the skilled trades. Positions are available from repairing heating and air conditioning units to installing fiber-optic cable to working as a maintenance technician in a local apartment complex. Gain the knowledge and skills you need today for a career in building, construction and other vocational trades.
Course details and registration information
- ... understand the structure and requirements of the North Carolina Building Code.
- ... be able to determine code compliance when submitting/evaluating applications for permits, performing site inspections and/or conducting plan reviews when applicable.
- Administration, Use and Occupancy Classification, Special Detailed Requirements Based on Use and Occupancy, General Building Heights and Areas
- Types of Construction, Fire Resistance Rated Construction, Fire Protection Systems
- Means of Egress
- Accessibility, Interior Environment, Structural Design, Structural Tests and Special Inspections, Soils and Foundations, Concrete
- Steel, Glass and Glazing, Plastic, Emergency and Standby Power, Special Construction, Elevators and Conveying Systems, Encroachments into the Public Right-of-way, Safeguards During Construction
- Final Examination (2 Hrs)
- Upon successful completion of this class and in conjunction with other requirements as set forth by the NC Code Officials Qualification Board, students will be able to sit for the Building Standard Level lll exam.
- Upon successfully passing the State exam and by complying to the rules as stated in Section 11 NCAC 08.0706 of the NC Code Officials Qualification Board Regulations, a standard certificate will be issued.
2012 North Carolina Residential Code
2012 Manufactured Housing Code
or the then most current versions
- Attendance 90% or above
- Minimum passing score of 70% on end of course exam
North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board Approved Coursework
North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board Certified Instructor and
Successful completion of an instructor training workshop conducted by the North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board
- Building Inspector
- Real Estate
- Home Inspectors
- Planning Departments
- Law and Administration - COD-3101A3
- OSHA 30 Hour Construction Safety - OSH-3013A1
- OSHA 30-Hour Construction Industry - OSH-3013B3
- OSHA 30 Hour Construction Safety - SEF-3001BI1
- OSHA 30 Hour General Industry Safety - SEF-3001BJ1
- Blueprint Reading - BPR-3011A1
- Blueprint Reading - BPR-3011A2
- Blueprint Reading - BPR-3011A3
- Blueprint Reading - BPR-3011A4
- Residential Blueprint Reading - BPR-3011B4
- Blueprint and Schematic Reading - CTP-3001RB1
- Blue Print Reading and Schematics - CTP-M1
- Blueprint Reading - FIT-3001J1