Mission, Goals, and Outcomes
The mission of the Wake Technical Community College Medical Sonography Program is to provide students with a comprehensive education in medical sonography. The Sonography program is committed to providing the healthcare community with competent and professional entry-level sonographers.
The following program goals prepare students to be competent entry-level sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains. Graduates of Wake Technical Community College's Diagnostic Sonography program will be able to:
Demonstrate knowledge of skills basic to the Medical Sonography Profession. (Cognitive)
- Students will utilize critical thinking skills during the performance of sonographic exams to provide optimal results.
- Correlate ultrasound images with patient history and clinical findings.
- Students will demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills.
Demonstrate competence in skills basic to Diagnostic Medical Sonography. (Psychomotor)
- Students will demonstrate the ability to efficiently perform basic Abdominal, Obstetrical, and Gynecological ultrasound examination at an acceptable level of competence.
- Students will provide proper patient care.
- Students will document complete and accurate findings of sonographic studies.
Students will demonstrate professionalism. (Affective)
- Students will demonstrate professional behavior in the clinical setting.
- Students will be able to demonstrate effective communication to patients and members of the healthcare team.
- Students will demonstrate professional behavior in the class and lab setting
Program Effectiveness Measures
- Students will complete the program.
- Students will pass the national certification exam on the first attempt.
- Graduates will be gainfully employed within twelve (12) months post-graduation.
- Graduates of the program will indicate satisfaction with preparation for employment.
- Employers will be satisfied with the performance of newly-hired diagnostic sonographers.