College Recognizes Student, Faculty and Staff Excellence
RALEIGH, N.C. (April 28, 2022) - Wake Tech is pleased to announce this year’s faculty, staff and student recipients of the college’s Excellence Awards.
Twenty faculty and staff members were awarded for their service and dedication. Six students received Academic Excellence awards. The Excellence Awards are sponsored annually by the Wake Tech Foundation, which receives and administers private-sector funds for scholarships and college programs.
Wake Tech hosted an in-person Excellence Awards event for the first time since the pandemic. Award recipients were treated to dinner and videos recognizing their accomplishments. Wake Tech President Dr. Scott Ralls thanked everyone for their hard work and dedication to the college. All recipients received a plaque to display and a cash award.
Six students received the Academic Excellence Award:
- Abel Contreras-Ramirez, Biotechnology, Engineering & Skilled Technologies
- Carolyn Nunn, Business & Public Services Technologies
- Nithya Magunta, Health Sciences
- Daniel Bent, Information Technology
- Christie Lannom, Liberal Arts
- Jamie Casseday, Mathematics & Sciences
Eight faculty members received the Excellence in Teaching Award:
- Isabelle Odjaghian, Biotechnology, Engineering & Skilled Technologies
- Natalie Young, Business & Public Service Technologies
- Karen Maasch, Health Sciences
- Carla Osborne, Information Technology
- Brittany Hochstaetter, Liberal Arts
- Cocoa Dixon, Mathematics & Sciences
- Thomas Skibinski, Transportation Technologies
- Julia Tennant, College & Career Readiness
Four adjunct faculty members received the Excellence in Teaching Award:
- Michael Anhorn, Mathematics & Sciences
- Elizabeth Price, Business & Public Services Technologies
- Eddie Song, Health Sciences
- Yvette “Amber” Parker, Information Technology
Marla Tart, Finance and Business Services, received the Excellence in Executive Leadership Award.
Three staff members received the Excellence in Leadership Award:
- Vertricia Harris, Workforce Continuing Education
- Brenda Maddox, Curriculum Education Services
- Rachel Madsen, Effectiveness and Innovation
Four staff members received the Excellence in Service Award:
- Lauren Caruso, Effectiveness and Innovation
- Michelle Marshall, Effectiveness and Innovation
- Toye Nelson, Enrollment and Student Services
- Sarah Rose, Effectiveness and Innovation
Five winners were given special awards:
- Brittany Hochstaetter was named Wake Tech’s Instructor of the Year, and Rachel Madsen was named Staff Member of the Year. They will represent Wake Tech at the statewide North Carolina Community College System Excellence Competition.
- Amber Parker was the Adjunct Teacher of the Year.
- Daniel Bent, a first-generation college student, was named the Dwight O. Ryan Outstanding Student of the Year.
- Sandra Thomas, a tutor for College and Career Readiness students, received the Volunteer of the Year Award.