Current International Students

Change of address
One of your responsibilities as an F-1 student is to maintain an updated address with the International Student Office. We will update your address with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and Wake Tech. You will download the permanent record change form, complete the form and submit the form to the International Student Office within 10 days.

F-1 Extension of Stay
If your I-20 is expiring and you would like to continue to study at Wake Tech, you will need to extend your I-20. Submit an updated bank letter with sufficient funds, along with the I-20 Extension Request form. You must extend your I-20 before the program end date on No. 5 of your I-20. Please do not wait until the last day to extend. When you bring the required documents, we will review your transcript, bank letter and I-20 Extension Request form to determine if you have made progress toward completion. If you have numerous failures and/or retakes, we will not be able to extend your I-20. 

Optional Practical Training (OPT)
If you graduate with an associate degree, you can apply with USCIS to work for one year. During your last semester, you will submit your OPT paperwork to the International Student Office. Then, the office will submit the paperwork to USCIS. You can submit your paperwork as early as 90 days before your last day of class. However, your OPT paperwork must be received by USCIS before your 60-day grace period ends.

Transfer out
If you would like to transfer your I-20 to another institution, your first step is to apply to the institution. Once you have been fully accepted and made a final decision, bring your acceptance letter to the International Student Office.

Form 8843 IRS 
International students and scholars must file Form 8843 to report their presence in the United States. If the student is a nonresident who had no source of income, the student will be required to file Form 8843. If the student had no U.S. source of income, the student does not need to file Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ. If the student receives U.S. income only from interest earned by his or her U.S. bank account, this is not considered a U.S. source of income for nonresidents. Therefore, the student will file only Form 8843.

If the student was an international student in the United States for more than five years, the student is considered a resident for federal income tax purposes, and he or she is not required to file Form 8843. Form 8843 must be filed by all individuals on F-1 visas and their dependents, even if he or she has not earned any income in the U.S. If he or she has not earned any income, he or she will complete Parts I and III, sign and mail Form 8843 to the IRS. The student should keep a copy for his or her records.

All nonresidents living in the U.S. must file a Form 8843 tax return each year by the appropriate deadline. The forms are available at Internal Revenue Service at 4405 Bland Road, Raleigh, N.C. 27609, or call 919-850-1100.

Reinstatement of F-1 status
If you do not comply with F-1 regulations, your F-1 status will be terminated. In order to restore your F-1 status, you will have to process a reinstatement. There are two ways to reinstate your F-1 status, so please discuss your options with the International Student Office before making a decision:

  •  Provide financial documents showing sufficient funds to the International Student Office
    You will receive an initial I-20. You will need to leave the United States within 15 days. With a valid passport and F-1 visa, you will have to leave the United States and re-enter. With this option, you will need to repay the SEVIS fee on the new I-20. Your academic calendar for immigration purposes will restart. You may be interrogated by the officials at the port of entry. The officials will make a decision to allow you to re-enter the United States or return to your home country. If the officials allow you to re-enter, you have reinstated yourself. Please note you must use the new I-20 to re-enter the U.S.
  • Apply for reinstatement with USCIS and remain in the United States
    You will bring all the required documents to the International Student Office. The office will submit the documents to USCIS. You will remain in the United States while waiting for the adjudication of your application. You should apply for reinstatement with Immigration immediately.