Hospitality & Tourism
From baking to bartending, culinary and restaurant certifications to operating your own food truck, Wake Tech has a short-term training program to get you the skills you need for in-demand jobs in the Triangle region. Learn the science, techniques and trends that will give you the foundational knowledge to be prepared for the challenges face by professionals in the hospitality industry.
Course details and registration information
- The students will
1 Learn the basic techniques on how the kitchen operates . 2.Learn the chemistry of baking and explore how flour, sugar, eggs and other ingredients combine in the proper ratios to produce different results. 3.Be able to demonstrate techniques following different recipes . 4.Understand the basic principles of bakers math and apply it. 5.Get acquainted with the use of baking tools, measures and weights. 6.Demonstrate the proper use of pastry bags 7. Demonstrate the art cake decorations using different icing methods. 8. Be able to work in a team environment and be able to follow instructions directions effectively.
- • Introduction to basic techniques, the foundation of cake making, standard recipes & formulas, Bakeshop math, and food safety
• Quick Breads, Cookies, Brownies and Bars
• Egg-Based Desserts, Pies & Tarts
• Cake Baking & Decoration Techniques
• Icing & Plate Presentation
• Understanding Food Cost
• Cake Design and Quotation
• Servsafe ( Teaching days will vary)
• Final Exams
- 1.Students will receive the ServSafe Certification ( National Restaurant Association)
- Attendance 90% or above
- Students must actively participate in the class. Students must be properly dressed in clean chef uniforms with closed-toed work shoes to prevent accidents. Students will be graded on quizzes and practical sessions on a weekly basis. Students must turn in their assignments in Moodle at the required time and dates as specified by the instructor. Students may ask for one extension and have to submit their assignments promptly. Failure to turn in the assignments will result in a No Grade and students will not be allowed to return back to class.
Students will be graded on the following 4 Categories for them to pass the class. An average of 70% or higher would be required for the students to pass the class.For online classes students must submit their assignments by the due date as determined by the instructor.
1) Servsafe = 20% ( Students will need 70% or higher to pass the class as per the National Restaurant Association).
2) Quiz =15% ( Students will attempt a quiz at the end of each week). Each quiz weights 3.75% each
3) Weekly Assignments = 45%. There are 9 Assignments in total.
4) Final Exams = 20%
- Cake Decorater
- Bread Maker
- Assitant Baker
- Basic Culinary Arts & Restaurant Fundamentals Certification - HOS-3075E3