Building & Construction
If you have an interest in problem-solving, working with your hands or making a drawing come to life, consider a career in the skilled trades. Positions are available from repairing heating and air conditioning units to installing fiber-optic cable to working as a maintenance technician in a local apartment complex. Gain the knowledge and skills you need today for a career in building, construction and other vocational trades.
Course details and registration information
- have appropriate knowledge of the maintenance industry
have the ability to utilize the appropriate safety requirements needed to complete tasks safely
Understand principles of electricity, plumbing and HVAC
have the ability to perform CPR if necessary
have the ability to use customer service skills appropriately to provide quality services; attained a Bronze, Silver or Gold CRC certification
a.Working with Personal Protective Equipment
2. CPR and First Aid
3. Introduction to Maintenance
b. Math for Trades Review
c.Facility Maintenance Processes
d.Career opportunities in the maintenance industry
e.Role of the Facility Maintenance technician
f. Career Readiness Certification Pre-Assessment
4.Introduction to Electricity
a.Electrical Safety and Hazard Awareness
c.Circuits and Their Components
d. Understanding Wiring Diagrams
5.Introduction to HVAC
b.Automated Control Systems
6.Introduction to Plumbing
7. Employability Skills
a. Customer service
b. Interview skills
c. Write a resume
d. Career Readiness Certification Assessment
Note: Instructors may change the course schedule to better serve the students in the class
- CPR Card
Electrical Employment Ready Certificate
Handouts will be provide by the instructor.
- Attendance 90% or above
- Successful completion of this course requires 90% attendance and satisfactory class participation (i.e., be able to demonstrate proficiency in all concepts taught). If a student has extenuating circumstances causing absences of greater than 10% of the class time, the student must make arrangements with the instructor to provide evidence of keeping up with the class material and making up the work, exercises, and projects missed; or demonstrate competency in the course objectives. Students with irregular attendance, less than 90% attendance, or is unable to demonstrate competency will receive a grade of NG (no grade).
- Student must have 100% attendance during the CPR training to receive the CPR Card.
- Students must arrive on time on testing day. Students will not be allowed into the classroom after the test begins. NO makeup testing dates will be offered.
- Lab exercises, when applicable, are due on the date assigned by the instructor. Late assignments may be accepted only at the instructor’s discretion
Apartment Maintenance Technicians
- Maintenance Technicians
- Apartment Maintenance Technicians Training - MNT-3066B2